Old 05-12-2007, 01:58 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dan L. Dan L. is offline

Default OT - can opener

In article ,
helco wrote:

Val wrote:
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
Before I jump to the 15 dollar range for a manual can opener, what are
you folks using? How long has it been used?

--
Dave

I don't remember what it costs, but I've been using Swingaway manual can
openers for years. I haven't run into a can yet that challenged this tool.
I got mine at the supermarket, but I've also seen them at Bed Bath &
Beyond, Linens & Things, and sometimes hardware stores.

Swingaway manual can opener here, too. Has rubbery/vinyl type handle
coating. I've had the same one for about 20 years. Once in awhile I dunk it
in the dishpan and scrub the cutter wheels with an old toothbrush or just
plunk it in the dishwasher.......still works like a charm. I think I picked
mine up at Ace Hardware. See link for easy to identify visual aid...
http://www.kitchenkapers.com/5666.html

Val

I had a Swingaway for many years, but it was wall mounted. It could be
turned so it would sit against the wall when not in use -- hence the
name "Swingaway" -- and it could be lifted off the mount for cleaning.
Worked wonderfully. I think we left it at that house when we moved.

Target carries it, as do many other stores.

helco

I got my mother, who has a touch of arthritis, a "One Touch" can open
last year. It works great. If you open a lot of cans you will need to
keep some "AA" batteries on hand. I have one also $20. Just open all
cans in the sink for liquids stuff. I negative part is that when the
batteries get weak it can be a pain to get device off the can. All in
All, I still like it over all other can openers.

http://www.onetouchopener.com/?cid=317906

Black & Decker also makes a hands free Jar Opener. I believe one can get
these items at most department stores.

Hmmm.. I believe dry dog food is better for dogs than can dog food
unless your dog has dental problems and can't chew very well.

Enjoy Life ........ Dan

--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.