Old 04-12-2007, 11:02 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Trying to ID a mysterious fruit

On 4/12/07 20:00, in article
, "FarmI"
ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

snip
| One fruit I particularly like but don't see much in the UK shops is
| grenadilla (is there an English name?). Divine! Lidl (of all places!)
| was selling them a while back...
|
| Yes, there is an English name; it is granadilla.
|
| http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granadilla

We always knew it as grenadilla in Africa.

Interesting. In Australia, the purple ones are known as passionfruit and
the yellow ones as banana passionfruit.

The latter come from P. mollissima which is too tender to grow outdoors
here. We have it here in a greenhouse and it has fruited but whether it
ripens is another matter.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk