Old 05-12-2007, 11:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
betsyb betsyb is offline

Default OT - can opener

"Dioclese" NONE wrote in message
Something's buggin me. Rather insignificant at first. Now, its
becoming a problem. Its the manual can opener. I regularly open two
small cans of dog food a day, people food less often regurlarly. Use
a manual can opener as I have small acreage on the countertop. In the
past 2 years I've tried one electric initially that couldn't hold most
cans including the dog food can in place to cut the top. So, I
figured manual would be best. Some last a couple of months, some
don't work right at the get-go. There are 2 common failures. The
cutting wheel bends at the axis point, AND/OR, the geared friction
wheel fails to turn the can. Less common during those failures is the
handle cover falls off. Also, the closing of the handles goes beyond
its intended closure to maintain hold of the can; twisting and bending
the closing axis point of the handle fulcrum point. The only problem
with the standard all-metal type is that it won't do all can sizes, at
least that's what I've found.

Before I jump to the 15 dollar range for a manual can opener, what are
you folks using? How long has it been used?

--
Dave

I have an electric Hamilton Beach. I received it as a present so I don't
know the cost. Been using it for 3 years and tossed the Swingway last
month.
It seldom worked with my hands.

BetsyB