Old 05-12-2007, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Septic Tank: how often to clean?

"Rob G" wrote in message

I would like to challenge the vociferous cries from Sacha, Mary
Fisher, et al about the use of household chemicals and septic tanks.
I live in area of septic tanks - there must be around 20 in this
community, and one thing that is clearly apparant is that anyone we
know well here does NOT pay service to looking after their septic tank
bugs. I will admit to not having gone round my friends here and done
a detailed survey off their cleaning habits, but all (I think) have
dish-washers, washing machines, etc and I am totally unaware of them
taking any precautions with powders, etc. What I am aware of is that
like us they pump out every 10 years or more and have no problems with
their tanks. These are typically 70 year old double brick tanks
that drain into the local water courses, which are all healthy burns.

Rob

I challenge your claim that I've been crying vociferously :-)

All I've done is repeat what happens in a daughter's case, which is
different from most because of her organic certification. Others have
asserted that their tank has never been 'cleaned' too, it shouldn't be
necessary.

Mary