Old 05-12-2007, 11:45 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Trying to ID a mysterious fruit

On 5/12/07 11:29, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| On 5/12/07 09:46, in article , "Ophelia"
| wrote:
|
| I wonder if that was what June meant when she said hers were
| poisonous. Perhaps hers don't ripen.
|
| June was talking about Japanese quince, I think, not passion fruit. AFAIK,
| none of them are poisonous, except as Charlie has shown.

Possibly Camelia, if she was right. Chaenomeles are not poisonous,
ripe or unripe. You may feel that you would prefer to have been
poisoned after biting into an unripe one, but it won't do anything
more than make your mouth shrivel!

| In the past I've
| made quince jelly from Japanese quince (Chaenomeles) but it wasn't very
| interesting as to flavour.

I like it, but I agree that it's very like crab apple, only more
so. A sort of generic flavour.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Oh, those Camellia 'apples' are poisonous, are they?! My husband recently
received some huge ones, the size of real apples, from my son's garden and
we have no idea which variety of Camellia they come from. Any suggestions
as to ID would be welcome. He's sown the seed, so we'll have to see what
transpires. My ex-fil had a large collection of Camellias but only some of
his are documented but the fruits on this particular lot are quite
extraordinary, at least to us.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk