Old 05-12-2007, 11:47 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Trying to ID a mysterious fruit

On 5/12/07 11:44, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
June Hughes writes:

| I don't think I shall put mine to the test, especially as Sacha has made
| the jelly and didn't like it. The flowers are lovely for the table in
| spring, though.

Yes. It is worth trying if you like sharp preserves, and it can be
used instead of apple together with blackberry.

| PS Tiptree do a lovely quince jelly but I should imagine they make
| theirs from the large hard, pale yellow fruit. I shall stick to that.

Yes, they do. And Bonne Maman. True quince is a lot more aromatic
and less acid than Japanese quince.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I've eaten that often in France but don't recall seeing it here. Now I know
about it I'll go looking for it, because that I really do love. The true
quince tree is a thing of great beauty, IMO and the older they are, the
better. A friend of ours has one in a courtyard which fills the entire
space. It must be getting on for 100 years old, I should think and it's
truly lovely, with huge golden fruits and wonderful gnarled branches.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk