Old 05-12-2007, 11:57 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes June Hughes is offline

Default Trying to ID a mysterious fruit

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
June Hughes writes:

| I don't think I shall put mine to the test, especially as Sacha has made
| the jelly and didn't like it. The flowers are lovely for the table in
| spring, though.

Yes. It is worth trying if you like sharp preserves, and it can be
used instead of apple together with blackberry.

| PS Tiptree do a lovely quince jelly but I should imagine they make
| theirs from the large hard, pale yellow fruit. I shall stick to that.

Yes, they do. And Bonne Maman. True quince is a lot more aromatic
and less acid than Japanese quince.

The big yellow quince smell lovely but I have only used them for cooking
once. As the Tiptree product is so good, lazyitis set in and I just buy
that.
--
June Hughes