Old 05-12-2007, 03:59 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Chris Barnes Chris Barnes is offline

Default OT Acorns

wrote:
many trees = good anchors for netting that would catch the nuts and redirect them to
a barrel. Maybe sell the acorns. I thought acorns were el primo pig feed?

Acorns are wasted on pigs - pigs will eat anything. We have lots of
feral ones where I live - most property owners put out large cage-traps.
Had one friend that worked for Nabisco that would get crates of
cookies and crackers when a delivery truck was in a wreck and the whole
load was deemed "not fit for sale". He used them in the hog traps.

Acorns are good for native wildlife however. Deer, squirrels, 'coons,
and wood ducks love them.

--

Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes