Old 05-12-2007, 03:59 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Winter and Netting

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 08:47:34 CST, "2pods" wrote:

Yup.
The first year we put up netting around our semi raised pond, the same thing
happened.

I had spar like pieces of wood screwed into the sleepers (railway ties for
the US) at intervals around the pond, so we could raise them as and when
needed for the net.

The first heavy snow (the ONLY snow really), and I was looking into a pile
of trapped snow that had pulled the spars from their screws and was covering
the surface of the pond.
Luckily the filter return kept a small open bit.
Peter

I wish I had known. We only had an inch, but it was wet snow. Here I had it
all nice and clean under the netting and now all leafy again. The ponds are
covered with mosquito screen, so nothing entered them, thankfully. Course,
as often happens here, soon after the snow we had Chinook winds and it
probably would have been all leafy down there again anyway. Hopefully we'll
have a nice enough weekend so I can clean up. The latest wind striped all
the leaves off the trees around us, so hopefully very few will move in
future winds (she said wishfully). ;-) ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us