Old 06-12-2007, 05:58 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Reel McKoi[_14_] Reel McKoi[_14_] is offline

Default OT Acorns

"Chris Barnes" wrote in message
Reel McKoi wrote:
What did he do with the trapped hogs?

The big ones get killed and processed in short order. The small ones get
sold (about $25-$40 each) where they put into a feed pen and allowed to
grow a bit - then they are killed and processed.

Note that up until just a few years ago, feral pigs were considered such a
pest that some ranchers paid folks to take them off their property. And
while the days of getting paid to do it are gone, they are still a pest.
Fwiw, feral hogs can damage a pond in pretty short order, even to the
point of ripping a hole in the dam. Just trying to bring this back to some
'semblance of "on topic" :-)

There's few things I like better than roast pork. ;-) ~

In the winter when the ponds are mostly asleep we tend to wander off topic
at times.

I've had deer drinking from my barrel water gardens but they stayed away
from the ponds themselves. No wild hogs here but we have just about
everything else.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.