Old 06-12-2007, 12:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dioclese Dioclese is offline

Default OT - can opener

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 12/4/07 8:14 AM, in article
,
"Frank" frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:

Dioclese wrote:
Something's buggin me. Rather insignificant at first. Now, its
becoming a
problem. Its the manual can opener. I regularly open two small cans of
dog
food a day, people food less often regurlarly. Use a manual can opener
as I
have small acreage on the countertop. In the past 2 years I've tried
one
electric initially that couldn't hold most cans including the dog food
can
in place to cut the top. So, I figured manual would be best. Some last
couple of months, some don't work right at the get-go. There are 2
common
failures. The cutting wheel bends at the axis point, AND/OR, the geared
friction wheel fails to turn the can. Less common during those failures
is
the handle cover falls off. Also, the closing of the handles goes
beyond
its intended closure to maintain hold of the can; twisting and bending
the
closing axis point of the handle fulcrum point. The only problem with
the
standard all-metal type is that it won't do all can sizes, at least
that's
what I've found.

Before I jump to the 15 dollar range for a manual can opener, what are
you
folks using? How long has it been used?

We have an Oster electric that works quite well. Been in use about 6
months and works like new. Before, I used to tell my wife that we can
put men on the moon but cannot make a decent can opener

Frank

I'm getting myself one of the OXO manuals when I spot one next. Don't know
the price but it is a dream to use. Used my cousins to open 10 cans of
cranberry sauce and it was painless on these old hands.

BUT - have you thought about one of the under the cabinet ones? Mine is
ancient and still works great!

Live near Wimberley, TX. Closest places are Ace Hardware, Dollar General, a
Feed store, and a grocery store. At Ace, I did find an OXO Goodgrips model
Model# 30081. Has built-in lock that locks when closing, just turn the
handle to open. Price: $14.97. Unconditional warranty. Could not find any
Swingaway mentioned by others. Talking manual can openers. Remainder that
I've found locally are all the junk 1 buck can openers I've all already
tried.

Closest big box store is 17 miles away. Not worthwhile to drive 34 miles
round trip for a can opener.

My dogs are getting skittish as they aren't getting their regular canned dog
food in the a.m. mixed with chew bones on the bottom of the bowl. Think
I'll try the OXO model mentioned for hopes of a good can opener, or, giggles
for my fruitless search at worst.

Dave