Old 06-12-2007, 12:27 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dioclese Dioclese is offline

Default OT - can opener

Oh. I stick with manual can openers for multiple reasons. Other than the
limited countertop space, I have an all-electric home. (except the bbq)
If, per chance, I lose power to the house for more than a few hours, I have
no way of cooking. Chances are the local area stores and eateries will
close during such a dilemma. So, the only reasonable alternative is to eat
out of can. That requires a manual can opener that works.

--
Dave
"Dioclese" NONE wrote in message ...
Something's buggin me. Rather insignificant at first. Now, its becoming
a problem. Its the manual can opener. I regularly open two small cans of
dog food a day, people food less often regurlarly. Use a manual can
opener as I have small acreage on the countertop. In the past 2 years
I've tried one electric initially that couldn't hold most cans including
the dog food can in place to cut the top. So, I figured manual would be
best. Some last a couple of months, some don't work right at the get-go.
There are 2 common failures. The cutting wheel bends at the axis point,
AND/OR, the geared friction wheel fails to turn the can. Less common
during those failures is the handle cover falls off. Also, the closing of
the handles goes beyond its intended closure to maintain hold of the can;
twisting and bending the closing axis point of the handle fulcrum point.
The only problem with the standard all-metal type is that it won't do all
can sizes, at least that's what I've found.

Before I jump to the 15 dollar range for a manual can opener, what are you
folks using? How long has it been used?

--
Dave