Old 06-12-2007, 04:22 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo Steveo is offline

Default Please Help Lawn Novice

Alastair wrote:
Hi everyone I have a huge lawn problem, as in that I need to replace the
old one. Its in awful shape. Half of it was ripped up to replace the
drainage as the garden was water logged. The other half is un even and
just looks bad.
The conclusion is that I want to replace the whole lot with new turf
and ripp
up the old. The problem is the amount of land in question (50 meters by
20 )and the fact it is stoney with clay soil. I would like to know what
tools I would need to lift the old turf and to get rid of the weeds and
what I need to do to prepare for the new lawn . Thanks

I'd kill the whole thing with a non-selective herbicide such as roundup
(glyophosphate) and then bring in enough top soil to grade it out proper.
Then seed or sod it. You didn't say where you live but that project is best
done in the fall here in N Ohio. It can be accomplished in the spring too
but weeds and irrigation are more of a concern than in the fall. ymmv