Old 06-12-2007, 06:16 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Olde Hippee Olde Hippee is offline

Default Winter and Netting

On Dec 5, 7:05 pm, ~ jan wrote:
On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 12:47:56 CST, "Reel McKoi"

wrote:
I don't allow leaves to accumulate on my nets. Most blow off on their own.

It wasn't accumulated leaves, it was a bit of wet snow. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:www.jjspond.us

Hi Jan, we cover our raised pond with window screening - over a
network of strong pvc pipes and 2 x 2's. We also found out a framework
of some kind was needed....the hard way, like you. We used to do it
with netting but beneficial snakes kept getting caught in it and we
got tired of having to save their lives with scissors and patience and
holding the snakes. One of 'em was 6' long and kept curling his tail
around my bare legs under the nightie I had on. DD had discovered it
about 9:30 one evening, and altho she hates them, insisted on us
saving it's life.
We do try to blow or suck all the leaves off as they do get heavy with
water and snow.

Nan