Old 08-12-2007, 06:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Aaron Hicks Aaron Hicks is offline

Default Plant Labels

Pat:

Don't know about pot labels, but I use several label printers in
the lab to keep the flasks and tubes straight. I have a couple of Dymo
printers for labels, but they can only do paper labels, which wouldn't
work for the greenhouse. I also have some old Datamax printers, which
will do either direct or thermal transfer. And then I have an E-Class
Datamax for seed packet labels.

But the real brute is the M-Class Datamax, which I use for labels
on orchid flasks. It's a thermal transfer label, meaning it's
chemical-resistant, and won't fade. After that, it's up to the label
substrate in terms of longevity. I got a batch of miserable labels from
one company- the biggest name out there- and they fell apart after a few
months. Of course, I still have that legacy, and find more embrittled
labels every day.

Everything is driven through Access. Play with the page size until
you get it right. It all works out eventually, although it took me a few
hours to tweak it in- but I use barcodes, too (TBcarcode, I think it is),
which made it more complex. I use the barcode software to put barcodes on
flasks as well as seed packets. It was a lot of work to set it up, but as
anyone who has seen my handwriting can attest, it's a fantastic
improvement.

The email address in the header is bogus. Send no email there.

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ