Old 08-12-2007, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com George.com is offline

Default Septic Tank: detecting height of sludge-level?

"PerryOne" wrote in message
On Dec 6, 9:56 am, Eddy Bentley
wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:
The sludge in mytankis much too soft to offer resistance to a board
as you describe, especially as it will be trying to float if it's
wood. In the past I've gently lowered a long bamboo into thetank
until it touches bottom. Then _slowly_ withdraw it. The bottom end of
the bamboo comes out black along its length where the sludge sticks,
to the depth of the sludge. If you pull out the bamboo too quickly,
the sludge can wash off. Wash hands after use!

Thanks, Chris. And the rougher the bamboo the better, so the sludge
sticks to it? No need for the board business, then. (I often go into
overkill.)

Eddy.

PerryOne
I'm not to sure how this works, this is my first blog!
Hope it provides some useful information.

My experience of living with our septic tank is:
With two of us using it. It never seems to fill up
I measure it every month and it remains static.

Septic tanks work by anaerobic process of de -composition turning our
toilet into methane gas. Our toilet is 70% water so the solids are
very little and after process they more or less disappear.(see below)

The system works by separation, the oils and light things like grease
float to the top, under this is a layer of water based liquids with a
suspension of tiny solids that gradually fall to the bottom, to de-
compose, at the bottom the compact sludge.

The key thing here is the quantity of oil that you pour down the
kitchen sink, over time the build up of oil in the top of the tank
will result in neat oil flowing into the drain field and spoiling it.
All oils should be collected and placed in the dustbin.
Things like frying pans and other oily/greasy kitchen things should be
wiped dry with paper towels prior to washing and the towels

are best placed in your compost bin where the paper and oils can be broken
down by natural processes.

rob