Old 08-12-2007, 10:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tom J Tom J is offline

Default Connecting PVC Pipe to Steel Valve?

Elle wrote:
Hi, just an update for the archives. I was not having any
luck with good thread contact area with the old brass gate
valves. This was even after "chasing" the threads with a
steel fitting (no tap handy). Consequently I replaced the
brass valves with new PVC ball valves, threaded. I noted in
advance how much farther the new PVC threaded fittings
advanced into the new PVC valves, Duff. Huge difference. I
used teflon tape. The joints are much more mated, due to the
male adapters' threads inserting farther. All is holding
well, plus the system is quieter when the pump is running. I
have some apprehensions about the PVC valves longevity, but
good enough for now, plus they are way less expensive than
new brass valves. Thanks again for sharing your experiences.
Elle

Just to add a caution. Over tightening PVC threaded joints may cause
the female part to split from the excess pressure. I had it happen a
couple of times before I decided they didn't want to be as tight!!

Tom J