Old 08-12-2007, 11:46 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly Eggs Zachtly is offline

Default Please Help Lawn Novice

Nil said:

On 08 Dec 2007, Eggs Zachtly wrote in
alt.home.lawn.garden:

Dood! How ya been? =)

I've had a cold for the last month that won't go completely away. My
ears have been stuffed up for 3 weeks and I can hardly hear, which is
about the most annoying symptom I could have, as you might imagine.

I dunno. It gives you a valid excuse, when you're off-key. HEH =)
(Actually, sorry to hear about the cold. Those long-lasting ones suck. I
feel for ya, man.)

Haven't seen you around a.g. - you give it up?

Nope, just been insane at work. They blew our budget on last winter's
project, so 75% of our workforce was cut a month and a half earlier than
usual. I've been mostly skimming a few of the more active groups (a.g. is
one). That, and trying to keep up with the recent sporge attacks in several
groups have kept my limited USENET time, well... busy.

Whatever happened with the Yew?

I lopped off their tops with a dull chainsaw, and (predictably,) they
looked like hell. Then, later, a landscaper was working on my
neighbor's yard, and he agreed to cut them both down and haul them away
for a modest fee. So, for the winter, my front door is very exposed to
the street and the weather. Next spring I'll plant something to replace
at least one of them. Something evergreen, not too big around, or at
least that I can prune narrow, and that can be kept at about 8 feet
tall. Any suggestions? I was wondering if a holly might work.

Holly's a good choice. There's a lot of them that you can keep at 8'. As
it's the entryway, I'd choose something a bit out of the ordinary. Maybe:

Ilex x meserveae 'Honey Maid'
Ilex crenata 'Sky Pencil' (perhaps groupings of 3, on either side?)
Ilex crenata 'Steeds'

Alternatively, there's plenty of 'evergreens' besides the common holly,
arborvitae, & juipers. Perhaps:

Mahonia japonica 'Bealei'
One of the upright Chamaecyparis

HTH
--

Eggs

What was the greatest thing before sliced bread?