Old 10-12-2007, 04:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Pile up leaves around your trees?

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 06:46:53 -0800 (PST), Mike
wrote:

So, I was driving around town (Central NC), and saw a bunch of people
with piles of leaves around their trees, some as high as 3 or 4 feet.
Is this a good idea?

No. This can create a perfect environment for fungus, mold,
destructive insects and rodents. The bark of a tree should not be
covered up with leaves or mulch, but I see this done all the time.
Like people, some trees can take more abuse than others.