Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
David Hare-Scott

Default Solving the Drought and Bushfire crisis

"S. McLaren" wrote in message
Is there a credible solution to the drought and bushfire problems we
experience regularly?

Or is it a situation of simply sucking it in and taking the

"punishment"
whenever it comes?

--

There have been many magic cures proposed to water the dead heart. Send
the water from the east coast back over the mountains to the

As for the fires have a look at an aerial map of Sydney, it looks like
an octopus with roads, rail and houses radiating out in a series of arms
along the ridges and bush in the valleys between. The Blue Mountains
are the same in a fish-bone pattern. Short of Agent Orange followed by
concrete how will you stop the fires running through the valleys?

The posturing about more hazard reduction burning is just that. If you
were to perform the level of clearing required to really stop the fires
the outcry would be huge, probably lead by those who suggested the burn
in the first place. Of course the people who choose to build in those
leafy green suburbs, the blocks backing on to the bush are the most
prized, will tell you that when the fires come through it's just really
bad luck. The fact that you cannot get flood insurance if you build on
a flood plain but you can get fire insurance anywhere tells us something
about how well risk has been identified historically.

I think there is more future in learning to live with the land that we
have than trying to transform it to something else. Until we have a
political system that rewards those who take the long view it will be
convenient to blame 'nature' rather than accept that too often we have
made poor decisions about our use of the land. I should live so long.

David