Old 10-12-2007, 08:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
Buderschnookie[_2_] Buderschnookie[_2_] is offline

Default Pile up leaves around your trees?

"Phisherman" wrote in message

No. This can create a perfect environment for fungus, mold,
destructive insects and rodents. The bark of a tree should not be
covered up with leaves or mulch, but I see this done all the time.
Like people, some trees can take more abuse than others.

I feel that it can be done so that it is not harmful to the plants.
I mulch with leaves this time of year but I am very careful to keep them
pulled away from the base of the plant. And I shred them first so water can
more easily penetrate.
It's nature's mulch and it's free.... and delivered.

--
Toni
Hills of Kentucky