Old 10-12-2007, 07:31 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Trying to ID a mysterious fruit

On 10/12/07 19:12, in article , "Stewart
Robert Hinsley" wrote:

In message
,
judith.lea writes

snip

You are absolutely correct, do you know that mushrooms can be taken to
the pharmacy for identification? Out of a whole basket, only one type
of mine was edible! The others could be eaten, with the exception of
one sounding like amoneta? but they would taste awful, so the
pharmacist said. I will stick to buying them in the shop I think.

Amanita. That genus contains several deadly fungi, including the death
cap, fool's mushroom and destroying angel. Wikipedia claims that Amanita
accounts for 95% of deaths by mushroom poisoning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita

Now that Judith is living in France full time - and in the right area - I
think a friendly neighbour, who will show her what these fruits of the
forest look like while growing, would be invaluable to her!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk