Old 10-12-2007, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Camellia recommendation

On 10/12/07 19:47, in article ,
"Stuart Noble" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 10/12/07 18:42, in article ,
"Stuart Noble" wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 09:53:33 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Our Camellia sasanqua Narumi-gata is just covered in flowers. It's scented
too - real bonus. I do recommend this one to anyone wanting an early
flowering one.
A friend of ours has one. Not sure if it's Narumi-gata, but certainly
c. sasanqua of some sort and judging by the seedlings that spring up
around it, it frequently sets viable seed.

I'm certainly going to give it a try. Is there anything else that
flowers this late/early?

If it helps, our Daphne bholua is in full bloom now.

Many thanks. Having a small front garden in a built up area I like to
rotate pots and tubs so there's always something to brighten the place up.

Wouldn't recommend D. bholua for a tub or a small garden. Admittedly, we're
'down south' but ours is at least 12' tall and about as much wide. I would
most certainly suggest you grow Sarcococca for scent in winter. It grows to
around 4'tall and wide and while the flower are tiny and almost
insignificant, one sprig of it in a warm room will perfume the whole house.
In this garden it's a hedge in one part and it perfume the whole of that
area. I really can't recommend it highly enough for winter perfume and a
not overpowering size.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk