Old 10-12-2007, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Camellia recommendation

On 10/12/07 21:27, in article ,
"Chris Hogg" wrote:

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 19:40:12 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 10/12/07 18:12, in article
,
"Chris Hogg" wrote:

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 09:53:33 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Our Camellia sasanqua Narumi-gata is just covered in flowers. It's scented
too - real bonus. I do recommend this one to anyone wanting an early
flowering one.

A friend of ours has one. Not sure if it's Narumi-gata, but certainly
c. sasanqua of some sort and judging by the seedlings that spring up
around it, it frequently sets viable seed.

Ours are still quite young - about three years old. We haven't seen them
set seed, though we'll certainly keep a look out for that. Because I've
known it in the past, though not in my own garden, I particularly wanted
one. Do you know the age of the one your friend has?

Don't know it's age, but a two or three decades at least I should say.
10 - 12 ft high.

I'm 61 - give me a break!

I believe C. sasanqua
are among the earliest to flower but we have C. japonica Takanini which
flowered in autumn last year and just went on and on. It hasn't flowered
this year yet, or hadn't a few days ago before I got flu-bound. Tomorrow
I'll go and inspect it! We had two extremely small plants, real babies -
but they were smothered in deep red flowers - if it lives up to that promise
it's a really good one.

My mother, at St. Ives, has 'High Hat' (C.japonica, light pink, large
peony-form flowers), which has been in flower since mid November. It's
always early, but this year is earlier than usual.

I don't know that one so I'll ask my husband if he does. It sounds lovely.

I really do love Camellias, though I wish their lives were longer.

I take it you mean flowering season!

Sorry, yes! Very short-sighted of me. ;-) In those terms, and entirely
through my own fault, I think I should reassure others reading this who
don't know Camellias well that IME they go on for many, many decades. We
have one in this garden that is at least 50 years old (unidentified) and in
a Jersey garden I know an entire walk of them that is over 40 years old,
minimum. On longevity grounds, do not hesitate to plant Camellias!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk