Old 11-12-2007, 08:41 AM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Trying to ID a mysterious fruit

In article ,
"Jeff Layman" writes:

| The problem with A. phalloides is that there are two toxins. The first acts
| within a few hours, and will lead to vomiting. But by then the second toxin
| will have been absorbed, and with that the effects don't show for around 24
| hours. By that time it has already destroyed many liver cells. As if that
| wasn't bad enough, it is excreted in the bile, and is reabsorbed further
| down the gut. From there it goes back to the liver, and destroys more
| cells. And so on. In the end, only a liver transplant could ensure
| survival.

Interesting. I knew about the delayed effect, but not the details.

Incidentally, to anyone picking field mushrooms, there is a simple
test for A. phalloides. NEVER eat any mushroom like that until it
has developed enough for the gills to colour up - if you want to eat
real button mushrooms, buy them from a shop or grow them yourself.

Don't test with a silver fork or in any of the other ways described
by folklore - it passes all of them.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.