Old 11-12-2007, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] helene@urbed.coop is offline

Default Fat down the drains

On 9 Dec, 10:25, Dave Hill wrote:
All the juice from cooking joints etc gets drained off into a bowl and
left to cool then the fat is used as part of our bird food mix,
Crumbed bread, crushed oats, mixed bird grain and seeds and melted
fat, dripping and what ever we have.
This is all mixed then packed into 2 liter pop bottles with the tops
cut off, when cold the bottles are cut off and the food block is put
into holders made of 1cm wire netting and hung inside 2 hanging
baskets hung on end to keep the larger birds off and to give the
smaller birds plenty of perching places to feed from.
Any stock left from the meat if it isn't used in cooking then it has
stale bread mixed into it and it is put out for the badgers and foxes.

I wish I was a bird in your neighbourhood ;o)
Shame I can't feed the birds in my garden (too many cats). However, I
leave nesting material for them.