Old 11-12-2007, 12:18 PM posted to uk.food+drink.misc,uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Trying to ID a mysterious fruit

In article ,
"Alan Jones" writes:
| "judith.lea" wrote in message
|
| I have some quince in my back garden and I don't have the faintest if
| they are edible or not, my husband laughed when I bought quince at the
| local greengrocers to make quince jelly for Christmas, he swears we
| have the same thing in the garden, but I am not chancing it - with my
| slight knowledge - I am bound to get them confused.

You needn't worry - if it looks much like an apple (including when cut)
and grows easily in the UK, it is edible.

| If the quinces are pear-shaped, ...
|
| If the quinces are apple-shaped, ...

There are Chaenomeles varieties that are pear-shaped and Cydonia
ones that are apple-shaped. The rest of your description is OK.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.