Old 11-12-2007, 06:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran Gail Futoran is offline

Default A less large rose garden

"John M. Gamble" wrote in message
In article
,
Gail Futoran wrote:
"John M. Gamble" wrote in message
Gail asked:
How do your gardens grow?

Mostly in daffodils (early), irises (mid) and "other". I only
started
with a (that's singular) rose shrub this year after I read how
Griffith
Buck bred his roses. In zone 5 in city conditions, I pay
attention
things like that.

--
-john

Which Buck rose? I think the only one I
have is Distant Drums, and I have three
copies of that. It does well even in the
hot (harsh) conditions of south/central
TX.

Prairie Sunrise. It bloomed immediately after being shipped from
Wisconsin and planted. The color was much paler than described, but
that may be due to our lousy soil (I'm working on that). The plant
itself is very sturdy with deep glossy green leaves. I'm looking
forward to its re-appearance after a winter here.

I'm thinking of getting Country Dancer for 2008, another Griffith
Buck rose.

--
-john

Yep, I've heard of both of those. And I
think I've seen photos in some catalog.

I've noticed some roses seem almost
immune to environmental conditions - the
colors are the same no matter where planted,
whereas others roses are more sensitive
to soil, humidity, sunlight, etc.

I try to take catalog (online or in print)
descriptions with a grain of salt.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA