Old 11-12-2007, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Trying to ID a mysterious fruit

On 11/12/07 16:58, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On 11 Dec 2007 15:36:05 GMT,
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In article ,
Martin writes:

| www2.westsussex.gov.uk/environment/heritage/broadleaf_20.pdf
|
| "Straight from the tree quinces are inedible, bullet hard and sour"

And Chaenomeles are much more so. But they are not woody.

The one I tried to cut in half thinking it was a pear gave a good impression
of
being woody. It was both hard and brown inside.

Not being rude, Martin but have you encountered a true quince (Cydonia)? I
know the received wisdom is that they're like pears but IME they're fatter
towards the base and more 'knobbly' on the outside in the sense of being
irregular with dips and dimples in them. The ones I've seen are also very
golden yellow in colour.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk