Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
SG1

Default Solving the Drought and Bushfire crisis

We have three rainwater tanks. Use it for drinking & cooking and one tank
for the garden & the dogs. Just had water restrictions for 2 weeks now the
local weir is full, 5-8 inches upstream got the waterholes filled and the
Moonie river is now flowing. Giving our good Qld water to the Pinkos (Carr)
in NSW. We have had 30mm so far this month. Regarding usage of water our
allocation is one (1) megalitre (4 1/4 blocks) and we use just over 30% of
that.
Jim
In the middle of a Qld drought

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
u...

"S. McLaren" wrote in message
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

There have been many magic cures proposed to water the dead heart.

Send
the water from the east coast back over the mountains to the
Murray-Darling, dig a channel from the ocean up to Lake Eyre.......
nothing that is really feasible. Even if such schemes could be

built.....

What about a simple water conservation scheme to start off with?

Increase
the tax on water to get people to think twice before they waste water.
(Doesn't it irk you that Transurban uses 1,000,000 litres of fresh

water a
day as ballast for their tunnel?)

And encourage people through tax breaks if they install water saving

devices
like water tanks or water purification systems.

I am all for such simple schemes. Water rates that have a sliding scale
so that the profligate pay more per kilolitre would be a good start.
There would have to be a special hardship clause or shower timers for
those with daughters though :-)

If not tax breaks then at least local gov encouragement and free
information on grey water re-use and owning watertanks would be useful.

My guess was that the original poster had something more of a cure-all
in mind.

David