Old 12-12-2007, 07:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default SH decision

Joanna, my only advice is to take a good, deep breath! How well I remember
being a working mom. And by the time my oldest was 2, he had a baby brother,
LOL!

Diana

"Ray B" wrote in message
Hi, Joanna.

First, you're right, semi-hydro culture is NOT a miracle, it's just a
different way of growing that has some simplifying aspects.

Trying to use it to save an ailing plant is not really a very good idea,
as putting a stressed plant under more stress (adapting to the entirely
new conditions) is the direct opposite way to go. However, if the phrag
is suffering because of underwatering or insufficient air to the roots, it
still might be worth a try.

Generally, I recommend moving a plant to S/H culture when it is starting
to form new roots. That way, the new roots can grow tailored to the new
environment, and support the plant while the old roots fade away.

If you have plants that have a dormant period, they can be transplanted
then too, but I recommend against watering until you see new growth break
out.

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
newsCQ7j.5229$bW.1752@trnddc07...
Dave, Ray, and Diana, Thank you for your welcome back--although I may not
really be back, since my life is very busy nowheredays, so I am not sure
how often I will be able to visit, and I may unfortunately drop off the
rgo horizon again.

Regarding Ray's advice that I switch to SH to help with my watering as a
chore problem. I did at some point get two SH pots, and I tried one of
them, so far. I chose an orchid (cochleanthes amazonica) that was not
doing well in the hope that SH would help it, but unfortunately the
cochleanthes did not make it despite this attempt. I know that SH was not
the cause of its demise because as mentioned it was not doing well even
before, and I guess all this proves is that SH is not a miracle cure for
all that ails. I still have one used SH pot, and am thinking of trying
it. The plant that I am most interest in trying it with is a Phrag
Ecua-Bess because I know that phrags like this one prefer more water and
I have been remiss in watering it often enough. However, this phrag is
now also not doing well, and I fear that if I put it in SH and it does
not make it, I may wind up thinking that SH just does not work for me,
which part of me knows is completely faulty reasoning because in both
cases the orchids attempted in SH will have been ones that were limping
already. However, I am not really sure that I want to try an orchid that
is doing well in its current medium because if I did that, and then the
plant took a turn for the worse after all, I would feel guilty that I had
switched it to a completely new medium when it had been doing so well in
the old medium. See what I mean? So I have a dilemma here, on the one
hand I am much more willing to try experimenting with SH with a plant
that is not doing well already, but on the other hand I know that the
results of such an experiment may well reflect more on the ailing plant
than on the success of SH.

Any thoughts in response?

Joanna