Old 12-12-2007, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
johngood_____[_2_] johngood_____[_2_] is offline

Default Fw: suitable soil for 'gone crazy' bamboo

"echinosum" wrote in message

'johngood_____[_2_ Wrote:
;764253']
I still have left quite a number of smallish shoots growing a foot or
two
high. At this time of year would it more effective to cut them down or
apply glyphosphate?

Since as I understand it, the plants energy would be going into growing

roots at this time of year rather than growing leaves and culms?
Thanks
for any further advice.

At this time of year, any energy it uses pushing up culms is wasted
energy. So if they are new shoots, (ie without leaves) let them carry
on growing and then cut them down before they put leaves out in spring.
If they are small but mature culms, ie with leaves, then just cut them
down now - don't let them photosynthesize. I don't think applying
glyphosate at this time of year is going to be very effective.
echinosum

Thank you for your continued most valuable advice. I thought that since it
was so long since this post first went up, you would not notice my recent
addition to the thread. Most vigilant....many thanks.