Old 13-12-2007, 04:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
David Hare-Scott David Hare-Scott is offline

Default Soil

"Charles" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 20:02:36 +0000, CORVIDSTATION61
wrote:

Hi everyone!
Could anyone tell me if certain plants thrive in poor soil, does that
mean they wont grow very well in good soil? Thanks Mark

I think there are other plants from Australia with a similar
phosphorous sensitivity.

This is quite so. Many natives of Oz have evolved to deal with rather poor
soil and do not do well in rich soil and may drop dead if overfed. In his
book "Indigenous" Don Burke describes planting a native garden in ground up
sandstone on a sandstone base. I thrived.

OTOH with some 700 species of Eucalypts and 500 of Acacias (to name just two
genera), and given the size diversity of the country, you will find one
adapted for almost any conditions.

David