Old 13-12-2007, 03:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna J Fortuna is offline

Default SH decision

"Ray B" wrote in message
snip
Generally, I recommend moving a plant to S/H culture when it is starting
to form new roots. That way, the new roots can grow tailored to the new
environment, and support the plant while the old roots fade away.

snip

Ray,

LOL!

It may come as a shock to rgo-regulars, but I have not exactly been paying
attention to when my orchids start to form new roots. My general approach on
the subject of roots is as follows: If the plant is in a transparent pot and
I can see oodles of roots, then I have warm thoughts about them. If there
are aerial roots, I enjoy them and try to get them wet as well when I water
the plant. If the orchid is in a non-transparent pot, I kind of assume that
there are enough roots in there, unless/until the plant is unstable and
wobbly or doing very poorly and thus I start to suspect that there may be
problems with the roots. In the very occasional once-in-a-blue-moon occasion
when I repot an orchid, I trim away dead roots. If I see the beginnings of a
root on a Phal around the time when it is time for it to spike, I look at it
to check whether it is a spike after all and not a root. If the orchid falls
onto the carpet and all the medium gets out of the pot, I stick the orchid
and the medium back into the pot as best as I can, and I might glance at the
roots then.

Other than that, I don't give the roots a second thought I am afraid. So you
see I don't have a clue when orchids start to form new roots. And somehow I
suspect that I am very unlikely to start paying more attention to the roots
now. Sorry! Do I now get points off for being such a terrible orchid
caretaker? Is this equivalent to being a parent and not noticing when one's
child has a growth-spurt? I don't think so.

I hope that I won't shock too many of you when I admit that orchids are way
lower on my priority list than my child, and that I have always found it
very disturbing when anyone compares their orchids to being kind of like
their kids ('chids as it were). In my book, they are just plants after all,
even if they are gorgeous plants that bring us lots of enjoyment, but if
there is very little time and something's got to give, there is no second
thought in my mind that if the orchid care suffers, it is while unfortunate
not the end of the world. And if I have very little time to take care of
them, those orchids that survive best under benign neglect are now my
absolute favorites.

My number one favorite orchid these days is a Phal Baldan's Kaleidoscope
'Golden Treasure' AM/AOS. I bought it at a Safeway grocery store a bit over
two years ago. It grows in moss in a transparent pot with oodles of roots.
It needs watering once a month--just does not dry out any faster. It lives
in a north-facing window. It is in bloom for 10 to 12 months, and before it
looses the last flower it starts a new spike again. It tends to have lots of
pretty flowers when in bloom. It is currently in bud yet again both on an
old spike and a new one. My only complaint is that the flower color fades
over time, other than that it is the perfect orchid for me. Now if only my
other 45 orchids were like that only in different colors, shapes, and sizes,
that would be awesome. :-)

Joanna