Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
S. McLaren

Default Solving the Drought and Bushfire crisis

"Stephen Oakes" wrote in message

No, the farmers here use quite primitive measures (clearing the land,
working it until its topsoil blows away, spraying crops at mid-day, etc.)
but as soon as you start saying such things you are bombarded with

diatribes
("Australia needs farmers", "going bankrupt", etc).

I remember watching documentaries criticizing Australian farming practises
back in 1984 when I was in high school. Why haven't they changed or, at
least, the government has tried to encourage them to turn to more efficient
farming methods?

I went for a trip out to the country side recently and was aghast to see
some farmers using their industrial water spraying systems at 1 in the
afternoon.

I fought the temptation to ask them whether they realized that 80% of their
watering is lost due to evaporation.