Old 13-12-2007, 12:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids,rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna J Fortuna is offline

Default Topic of conversation (x-posted rgo/abpo)

Kye,

This is the information that I wish I had (from the point of view of an
amateur grower who does not have a greenhouse and has only 45 orchids, this
would be the kind of info that I wish I had before buying a new orchid

1. picture
2. flower size, number of flowers on average (for example if it is a
mini-catt--is it capable of more than one or two flowers per pseudobulb),
flowering season and whether it is capable of flowering more than once a
year, how long it can be expected to be in flower
3. cultu minimum and maximum light requirements, does it do well in home
or is a greenhouse a must, etc.
4. native habitat and growing habits in the wild (if it is a species) and
ideally pictures of species in native habitat setting
5. if it is a hybrid ideally information on which species went into this
hybrid's genealogy especially if it has very pronounced characteristics that
it inherited from a species parent/grandparent plant
6. what would be extra neat would be information/reviews from growers who
have successfully grown this plant and their tips on the environment that
they grew in (sort of like product reviews at amazon.com)

Best,
Joanna

"Kye" wrote in message
OK guys, heres a new thread for you all....

When you are looking for information on a plant, what information do you
generally want to find and in what format.

For myself, if I am looking for information on a plant, the most common
information I want is:

* History of naming (synonyms, taxonomists etc)
* Reference books/journals that have information about that plant
* Description of growth forms and idiosyncrasies of the species/hybrid
* Photographs of the species and varietals
* Taxanomic description of the type species of the plant for comparison
to the plant which I am looking at
* Flowering season in its native environment

Look forward to your views.

Cheers
Kye.