Old 14-12-2007, 01:36 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Kurt[_2_] Kurt[_2_] is offline

Default So warm the fish are awake again....

In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"Kurt" wrote in message
In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"Gareee©" wrote in message
And looking for handouts.. it was almost 70 here, after a few weeks
with
nights below 30 degree temps!

Looks like the next 3-4 days will be the same..
========================
Here too and we're having a horrible problem with a GBH. It's learned to
fish through the birdnets where he can reach the water surface. The
inground
ponds are fine but he's now cleaning out the tanks behind the house. I'm
in
the process of draining them down now so he can't reach the water
surface.
He got most of the GF; Shubunkins, Orandas and fantails. With the
constant
predator problems we're seriously considering getting rid of all the fish
and letting nature have the ponds. The 720g tanks can be sold or used for
waterlilies. The other problem with the fish are they're no longer
profitable since the market it glutted. I'm sitting here with about 250
beautiful young koi and no market for them.

======================================
You need to build a raised "tent" frame over your pond to keep the net
well above the water line. Just use cheap wood and cobble one together.

The inground ponds have the nets suspended above the water so the GBs can't
reach the fish. They're suspended on metal garden fence. The tanks behind
the house would be cost prohibitive to cover with wood frames and nets. They
do have bird netting over them, but as I said, a GB can still reach them.
And he's killing them because they wont fit through the net as he tries to
pull them out. When that happens he drops the dying sliced up fish and goes
for another.

Buddy of mine in Sedona has a 30M gal pond with lots of local Herons.
He has also discovered that they don't like stepping on the netting, so
might also make sure there is neeting on the edges.

He wont step on the netting. He's tall enough to reach over the edge of the
tanks to fish. Or he stands on the edge of the tank to fish.

Good lord, sounds like a veritable buffet at your house!