Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Geodyne

Default Killing Black birds (and birds of prey)

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 04:21:58 GMT, (Tom Elliott)
wrote:

Unfortunately, that bush corridor is going to become first a
construction site and then a freeway in a year or so. Farewell birds.
I can provide habitat for the parrots, but not for a raptor.

Exactly! Thses birds are going to find survival hard enough without
****wit gardners killing them off.

The original poster wasn't talking about killing off native birds,
they were talking about getting rid of introduced pests such as
blackbirds etc. The problem was the method of poisoning isn't such a
great idea.

Absolutely. To clarify my position further, I feel quite upset that
I'm going to lose the pleasure of seeing the native birds when the
roadworks begin, while the number of rotten Indian Mynahs will
probably remain the same. IF the OP finds a suitable method of killing
the blackbirds, would they *please* let me know!

Nothing makes me happier than seeing native birds in my garden. They
love my apple tree! Plenty for all.

My secret plan: I hae a neighbourhood coalition. We're planting
bird-friendly native species behind our back fences as soon as we know
where the construction fence is going to be :-)

Happy gardening to all.
Tara