Old 16-12-2007, 02:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.orchids,rec.gardens.orchids
J Fortuna J Fortuna is offline

Default Topic of conversation (x-posted rgo/abpo)

Another few sample sentences that came to mind, just as an illustration of
the kind of information that would be interesting in my opinion:

"This hybrid was first introduced in 1952 by German grower, .... In the
first x years its awards included .... However, with the introduction of
linkshybrids x and y/links in the 1970s, these hybrids redefined the
standards for award winning in the multi-floral Phal category, and this
hybrid has not been considered an award winner since then. Its perceived
flaws as compared with the newer hybrids include ... This hybrid has been
successfully used in cross-breeding that has resulted in numerous award
winning hybrids, including most notably:[list of a few hybrids with links
to these hybrid's pages]."

or

"This hybrid is the most successful result of the newest hybridization
efforts in Japan. The goals aimed for in this hybrid were ... . Earlier less
successful efforts in achieving the same results included among others the
following hybrids ...[list with links]"

Best,
Joanna

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
Kye,

I think that might be visually neat, although I don't know how
useful/accurate it would be (isn't it already problematic to say how many
percent of a certain species a hybrid has, I think I recall some
discussion of needing to interpret such data cautiously). And obviously
such a pie graph would only be possible for hybrids that only have a
handful of species in their parentage.

What I think would be most helpful would be a descriptive paragraph
something like this. "This miniature cattleya has inherited the compact
growth habit of linkspecies x/link, and the fragrance and flower
texture from linkspecies y/link. The presence of linkspecies
z/link in its ancestry may account for the lower light levels necessary
for this hybrid to thrive." Obviously such a paragraph may be hard to come
by for most hybrids, but putting this kind of information where it is
known would in my opinion add quite a bit of value.

Best,
Joanna

"Kye" wrote in message
So would things like a pie graph of species parentage components be
helpful???

Cheers
Kye.

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
Kye,

This is the information that I wish I had (from the point of view of an
amateur grower who does not have a greenhouse and has only 45 orchids,
this would be the kind of info that I wish I had before buying a new
orchid

1. picture
2. flower size, number of flowers on average (for example if it is a
mini-catt--is it capable of more than one or two flowers per
pseudobulb), flowering season and whether it is capable of flowering
more than once a year, how long it can be expected to be in flower
3. cultu minimum and maximum light requirements, does it do well in
home or is a greenhouse a must, etc.
4. native habitat and growing habits in the wild (if it is a species)
and ideally pictures of species in native habitat setting
5. if it is a hybrid ideally information on which species went into this
hybrid's genealogy especially if it has very pronounced characteristics
that it inherited from a species parent/grandparent plant
6. what would be extra neat would be information/reviews from growers
who have successfully grown this plant and their tips on the environment
that they grew in (sort of like product reviews at amazon.com)

Best,
Joanna

"Kye" wrote in message
OK guys, heres a new thread for you all....

When you are looking for information on a plant, what information do
you generally want to find and in what format.

For myself, if I am looking for information on a plant, the most common
information I want is:

* History of naming (synonyms, taxonomists etc)
* Reference books/journals that have information about that plant
* Description of growth forms and idiosyncrasies of the
species/hybrid
* Photographs of the species and varietals
* Taxanomic description of the type species of the plant for
comparison to the plant which I am looking at
* Flowering season in its native environment

Look forward to your views.

Cheers
Kye.