Old 16-12-2007, 09:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Winter Jasmine

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

My friend's got a license and he'd only do the job when
deer season is open. The remaining problem is night
hunting. We'd have to make certain arrangements with a
couple of neighbors so they don't freak when they see him
chasing down the deer, which will usually move at least a
little before dropping dead. A few pounds of venison would
probably be persuasive. The neighbors are just as annoyed
as I am.

yeah, i understand you have quite a deer problem there. i
think NY has the same law we do about hunting deer on your own
land without a license, but your friend would need one. since
night hunting tends to be illegal, i can see his reluctance,
but hunting at dusk/dawn shouldn't be a problem (except for
the gunshots at dawn might annoy the neighbors) & that's the
best time to get deer feeding.

As far as fences, I'll be doing that for the vegetable
garden next year, but it would look stupid for the
ornamental garden beds. And, the deer will jump anything
under 6 feet.

well, they'll jump anything less than 8 feet really, unless
you double fence. if you put 2 4' fences 3' apart, deer won't
jump it. they don't even have to be that high. i have a low
rock wall along the woods & a 4' fence 3' in. the deer don't
jump it (but they will jump in by the gate).
lee

I wish the deer were around on the 4th of July. I don't think anyone would
notice the gunshots amidst all the noise. I've walked to within 10 feet of
the *******s. At that distance, I could hit one with a perfect head shot.