Old 17-12-2007, 07:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray B Ray B is offline

Default Woolly aphids or mealy bugs on Phal

Personally, I'd try the alcohol first. If, after a week or so, you see more
bugs, then pull out the big guns.

"Kate" wrote in message
Thanks for the info, Ray. Re your second paragraph, that sounds as if
I shall have to tip it out of the pot to check for them which is
something I am reluctant to do at the moment in case I damage the
flower stem. Would the root mealie bugs be visible through a
transparent pot, or would that mean the infestation is so severe the
plant would be showing some distress? Or should I apply this
"stronger medicine" just in case, do you think? The plant is looking
very healthy at the moment.

Thanks again
Kate

"Ray B" wrote in message
Yes.

Putting a spray head into a bottle of isopropyl alcohol really
simplifies the process. Wet all surfaces of the plant thoroughly,
allowing it to stand in the leaf axils. Repeat every 3 days for 3
or 4 applications.

One thing you may have to watch for is root mealie bugs. If they
have colonized the medium and root structure, you're going to have
to resort to "stronger medicine".

"Kate" wrote in message
Up until now, I have been removing these fluffy, white things with
wet paint brush. Obviously removal hasn`t been complete, as they
are
now gathering in the joints on a flower stem. Can I use a paint
brush
dipped in, for example, isopropyl, to kill them, please, without
damaging the plant?

Many thanks
Kate