Old 17-12-2007, 11:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
San Diego Joe San Diego Joe is offline

Default Concrete?

"Chip" wrote:

RichToyBox wrote:
Concrete, whether truck mixed or gunnite/shotcrete is made of Portland
Cement, sand, water, coarse aggregate (gravel or crushed stone) and
admixtures. The sand, water and coarse aggregates should not pose any
problems. Most of the admixtures are used in such small quantities and are
bound in the concrete, so I don't see a problem with them, either.

You seem quite knowledgeable about concrete, so if you'll allow me I
have a couple of questions.

I have a plastered Shotcrete diving pool built in '87. Planning to
convert it to a swimming pond with fish. Plan to raise the 8.5' deep
end to 4' with dirt overpoured with concrete.

1) Do I need to take off the plaster around the sides, so the new
concrete floor edges mate with the old Shotcrete?

2) Will I need to tie in the floor re-bar to the old wall's re-bar or
even use re-bar in the new floor at all.

3) For fish, do I need to coat the old plaster and new concrete floor
with Epoxy or will normal pool paint do?

Chip

Hi Chip,

Just my 2 cents worth, but instead of doing more concrete work, why not fill
with sand or dirt to the contour you want. Then use regular pond liner. That
way, if you ever want to convert back to a pool you can.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.