Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Leanne

Default Swimming pool water

But doesnt chlorine evaporate? We had a really high chlorine level in our
water due to a computer error at our water treatment plant... the water
authority said that the water was safe to drink but that if you left it open
to the air the chlorine would evaporate quickly.

"Andrew G" wrote in message
"Tom Elliott" wrote in message
During winter, I was using my swimming pool as a storage tank - low
evaporation and enough rainfall to keep it topped up. I wasn't using
any chlorine in it (I'm in Melbourne, it's way too cold to swim in
winter), so the water was fine for the garden.

Now I'm cleaning it in preparation for a long hot summer. When I
rinse the filter out, I'm left with a bucketful of yellow brown water,
which I guess is dust and other junk that has fallen into the pool.

So now you are adding chlorine??

Could there be anything harmful in this? I'm leaving the bucket in
the sun so the chlorine evaporates, so I guess it would be fine for
the garden. If anyone knows of a reason why this might not be true,
I'd be grateful to find out.

Is this what you mean? Now you are cleaning it and you have to add

chlorine?
I assume this, as you say you are leaving it in the sun for the chlorine

evaporate?

Well going back to science, get a bucket of salt water, leave it in the

sun,
and watch the salt crystals remain. Collect the water that evaporates and
it's drinkable. So in theory, by leaving a bucket of chlorinated water in
the sun, does something similar happen? If so, then all you are doing is
losing water, and if anything else, then you are actually increasing the
concentration of chlorine, as the less water yet same amount of chlorine.
Perhaps, by not letting it evaporate, but letting it sit, the chlorine

will
sink, and you can pour the less chlorinated water off the top?

No doubt the pool water is much stronger chlorinated than tap water. I

would
do some experimenting to see what effect it has. Also, in any case, keep

it
off the foliage. I can't imagine that it is good for it.

--
Remove "not" from start of email address to reply

Happy Gardening!

--
Tom Elliott
Remove `mapsitna` to email