Old 19-12-2007, 12:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kate Kate is offline

Default Woolly aphids or mealy bugs on Phal

Thank you for the tips, Lee. I only have four orchids (at the moment)
but seem to be having reasonable success - so far. I never had bugs
on orchids when I used to grow them years ago, so didn`t know any safe
method of eradication. When you say "soapy water", do you mean real
soap, not washing-up liquid, for example? And I assume that the
plants have to be flushed through with fresh water afterwards?

Thanks again
Kate

"Savor" wrote in message
Kate,
When it comes to these insects, once I see them, I try to act
immediately because they multiply so quickly. I spray a solution on
the bugs lightly until wet where they are and before moving the
orchid. I liberally spray the nearby orchids and the growing area
surfaces. Unsprayed the bugs can be distributed like dust on the way
to the work area. Once there, it's time for eradication! The 'non-
chemical' means such as soapy water and alcohol basically block the
breathing surfaces on their abdomens suffocating the pests on
contact.
The nice thing about such 'green' measures is that they have little
impact on the environment and don't stimulate the resistant strains
of
new generations of the insects. Nevertheless sometimes I do use
chemicals such as acephate.
Spraying the orchid again at the work bench I use a brush too, a
tooth
brush, to get all visible pests away. I also use a water spray as
appropiate to jet them away. But often insects are down in the
roots.
I push the whole pot in, soaking all of the media, the foliage too
if
I can manage. It can soak for at least 5 minutes. An interesting
side
effect happened to some sick orchids that were left in my care. When
came back to the soaking plant, on their way up to the top of the
plant were two slugs! Dunking orchids in soapy water or a chemical
bath should kill all breathing critters. This also should not
disturb
any blooms. It is good to repeat this about 7 to 10 days later to
snag
hatchlings.
I try to be vigilante but it just seems to be part of growing
orchids.
I keep my eyes open & try to deal with it swiftly.
Lee

On Dec 17, 11:54 am, "Kate" wrote:
Up until now, I have been removing these fluffy, white things with
wet paint brush. Obviously removal hasn`t been complete, as they
are
now gathering in the joints on a flower stem. Can I use a paint
brush
dipped in, for example, isopropyl, to kill them, please, without
damaging the plant?

Many thanks
Kate