Old 18-12-2007, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Lethargic Robin

On 18/12/07 19:20, in article , "Kate
Morgan" wrote:

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from "Robert \(Plymouth\)"
remove my other hobby to reply
contains these words:

Mine wasn't lazy, he was busy picking out insects as I sowed
the second lot of broad beans

Our wee robin is as perky as you like. Mind you, he's getting
through a kilo of mealworms every 2-3 weeks!

--
AnneJ

Our robins are all very well thank goodness, this time of the year I buy
cheap Xmas pudding`s from the local supermarket and they are very well
received.

kate

Gloucestershire

We are going through bank account loads of seed and fat-balls for the birds
right now and judging by the way they're golloping it down, they know
something we mortals might only suspect about the forthcoming winter! Can't
you just chuck out sultanas and raisins for them Kate? Our local feed store
has run out of the largest sacks of bird seed, which gives some indication
of the run on food supplies. I have now taken to using Christmas tree
bauble hangers to suspend fat-balls in various bits of hedge and tree.
A month or two ago, I remarked that all the blackbirds had disappeared for
the first time. Normally, this place is throbbing with them and we all got
a bit worried. They are back with a vengeance and we're delighted to see
them. But where did they go an why? Anyone know what would have lured them
away? Now, they're hopping onto the table in one of the big greenhouses and
right into a shallow cardboard tray kept filled with crumbs for them.
They've even been spotted pinching bits of biscuit out of packets NOT
intended for their consumption but for staff elevenses!
We now have blue tits, sparrers, green finches, chaffinches, blackbirds,
owls, the occasional woodpecker, wrens, a few thrushes, coaltits and of
course, the ever squabbling and disputatious rooks in our rookery.
The curious thing is that while they seem to be feeding up for a cold winter
(human guesswork here) they seem also to be pairing off and in the case of
the rooks, squabbling about nesting or perhaps roosting sites.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk