Old 19-12-2007, 05:21 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
mel turner mel turner is offline

Default identify odd shrub, please

"Malcolm Manners" wrote in message

[snip]
So, I've pretty much ruled out Onagraceae. I thought Loasaceae, but
flower parts in 4s? Sterculiaceae? Something I've not even thought of?

I've posted some pics he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1023950...7603497109065/

The Sterculiaceae idea is closest.
I think it's one of the genera formerly put in Tiliaceae
[The various "Sterculiaceae" and "Tiliaceae" are now all being
included in an expanded Malvaceae. See Malvales tree in
http://www.mobot.org/MOBOT/Research/APweb/welcome.html ].

Perhaps your plant is a _Grewia_ or _Corchorus_ species, or a
close relative [subfamily Grewioideae], but I didn't see any
close matches.

Spoke too soon;
further Googling suggests it's _Clappertonia ficifolia_:

http://images.google.com/images?q=clappertonia
http://www.botany.hawaii.edu/FACULTY...phylo_malv.htm
http://www.google.com/search?q=clappertonia\

Thanks for the puzzle.