Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Chookie

Default Solving the Drought and Bushfire crisis

In article ,
"S. McLaren" wrote:

Is there a credible solution to the drought and bushfire problems we
experience regularly?

Or is it a situation of simply sucking it in and taking the "punishment"
whenever it comes?

Learn to live with it is the phrase that occurs to me. We know our outback
swings from drought to flooding rains (to coin a phrase) and we need to stock
up on fodder in good seasons, rather than overstocking the land. I have come
across reports of farmers who are only now running out of fodder because this
is a far longer drought than normal, and I think they should be rewarded
somehow for coping so well. We also need to reward the ones who reduce their
water consumption and put in erosion-proofing measures (fencing and
reafforesting streams and so on. Some of the ideas from permaculture would
probably be very helpful.

Given that most of the fires around Sydney seem to be started by arsonists, we
need to work out some way to catch them. I have no idea how we'd do this.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Once long ago, against her breast, a mother hush'd a babe to rest
Who was the Prince of heav'n above, the Lord of gentleness and love...
John Wheeler, 'The Silver Stars are in the Sky'