Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 AM
Dissent

Default Solving the Drought and Bushfire crisis

S. McLaren wrote:

Is there a credible solution to the drought and bushfire problems we
experience regularly?

Or is it a situation of simply sucking it in and taking the
"punishment" whenever it comes?

Get the "cowboy" element out of the Bushfire Brigade. Never have I
seen such a large number of social misfits gathered in one place.
I'm getting a little tired of how the media portay these people as
"hero's"...Did anyone see the melted bushfire truck that Channel 9
constantly used as a backdrop for all their shots? I think it was at
Glenorie. The volunteers in the truck were constantly referred to as
"hero's"....Hero's? How the hell can you call them hero's? They
nearly killed themselves through stupidity and wrote off a perfectly
good fire truck that could have been used to save someone else,s
property!

It's true that a small minority of these people are the bravest men
and women you could ever come acrooss. But the majority just love all
the media attention, the riding in trucks with elbows resting out the
window, the wipe of a sweaty brow when the SKY camera's are on....
etc, etc. Living in Heathcote I've seen it first hand. I've seen one
group laughing, joking, eating sandwiches and drinking coca cola and
then when the cameras show up they all lay on the ground and look
dejected...LOL...It would be the funniest thing I've ever seen if
these people werent playing with peoples lives|homes...

My suggestion is to remove the volunteer element from the bushfire
brigade. Make it a full time paid job where u have to sit an entrance
exam similar to the NSWFB, then a demanding physical, etc. It's the
only way. Think about it. If a scrawny, pimply faced girl runs up to
your front door in a blind panic screaming at you to evacuate are you
really going to do it? I know that I wouldn't......yet that was their
evacuation proceedure last xmas....Pathetic.

--
Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission, hypocrisy, brutality,
the elite.... All of which are American dreams......