Old 21-12-2007, 02:28 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Kurt[_2_] Kurt[_2_] is offline

Default Great Blue Heron - How Big of Fish Will They Eat?

In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"Kurt" wrote in message
In article ,
"Reel McKoi" wrote:

"Nick Cramer" wrote in message
The ones I got were similar to these, but higher. I think I got them at
Home Depot.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000KE4U8Y?...nextag-kitchen
-m
p-20&linkCode=asn

and

http://tinyurl.com/2fx52l (same)

That's what I use around the inground ponds. They wont work on the above
ground tanks.

Don't know what above ground tanks look like other than squares, you
just add height to base.

=============================
I can add height to the top but as I said, that's time comsuming and would
be expensive. It would have to be wired to the mesh already around them
somehow, for good support above the water. These are large round child's
pools with regular pond liners in them. See below. That blue tub now has a
black liner also. I would have to add extensions to the tops of these tubs.
They're 8' across and hold roughly 720g of water each. The smaller pool is
only 120g. The fence is so high the herons can't get the fish. But these are
too small for koi.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...ngs/tanks2.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...ngs/tanks1.jpg
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/g...s/tank150g.jpg

PVC is so cheap. I'd just make a tent frame and throw over the top.
$10-&15 max

here's my handy-dandy solution for you:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...tanks-modified
..jpg