Old 21-12-2007, 04:07 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Reel McKoi[_14_] Reel McKoi[_14_] is offline

Default Great Blue Heron - How Big of Fish Will They Eat?

"San Diego Joe" wrote in message

That is basically what I did. I had bird netting over my pond, but damn,
it
is just ugly. I took copper wire and strung it around the perimeter of my
pond and various angles and elevations. So far so good. The copper patinas
and almost disappears. The only question I had, and I still don't have an
answer, is will a heron land directly into the water, or do they always
walk
in from shore.

Yes if they can see a pot or rock. The GBHs here will actually land, rather
clumsily, on the edge of the tubs and fish from there. They will step over
any wire they can see. It doesn't discourage them. It could trip up myself
and my husband. I just broke an ankle this past July tripping over a small
rock I didn't see due to a hosta leaf. Also, wire does nothing to stop
Kingfishers, small herons, snakes and bullfrogs.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.